Ideally, bodywork is an art with the practitioner characterizing and evolving their practice with their unique presence, quality of touch, way of sensing / intuiting, personal practices, philosophy and understanding of the body.
Any bodywork is intuitive, experimental, relying on natural instinct and behavior first. If people pay too much attention to theory, they soon start following the theory instead of the body; they give shiatsu from the brain only; and both givers and receivers suffer. ~ Wataru Ohashi
In my practice I am inspired by an unmet need I witness daily: the need to be heard, seen and accepted for who we are. This need is rarely met in most cultures. It follows naturally that most of us have also not learned true self-compassion, which requires the capacity to compassionately be with or listen to our feelings and sensations.
Listening, through all my senses, is the ground of my work. My ultimate desire is for you to be on a path of discovering who you are so that you can live the life you most desire.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
What is Miracle Bodywork?
Miracle Bodywork is named after my given name, Milagros, which is the Spanish word for “miracles”. Miracle Bodywork then is my unique creation, developed through my life’s work – creative, emotional and spiritual – in both my personal and professional life. Miracle Bodywork seamlessly integrates powerful somatic modalities with Shiatsu to create a profoundly effective form of therapy.
Awareness of sensations, an understanding of the body as conscious or possessing its own intelligence, and as being of Nature are at the heart both of shiatsu and somatic practices. The key elements of Miracle Bodywork are:
- compassionate attention
- present moment awareness/ deep listening
- mindful touch
- lean-on pressure
- gentle, easeful movement
These elements create a deep sense of safety, support and connectedness. In these conditions the body’s inherent healing process is awakened and the bodymind naturally re-organizes to a state of greater alignment – physically, energetically and emotionally.
Just like you can thirst for water, you can thirst for touch. It is a comfort to be met confidently, deeply, firmly, gently, responsively. Mindful touch and movement grounds people and allows them to discover tensions that they may have held for so long that they are no longer even aware of them. When you are touched, you wake up to the part of your body that is being touched. ~ Bessel Van der Kolk
As a blend of shiatsu and somatic practices, Miracle Bodywork alleviates a wide variety of conditions of imbalance and illness of the body. The most common conditions that people present with are:
- emotional stress of daily life
- physical stress from over-exertion or insufficient movement
- muscle cramps and spasms
- low vitality
- low back pain
- neck and shoulder pain
- foot pain
- plantar fasciitis
- joint pain: hips / shoulders / knees / ankles , etc.
- digestive problems – gas, bloating, acid reflux, leaky gut, irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease
- immune deficiencies
- colds and flu
- headaches and migraines
- kidney stone pain
- organ transplant support
What can I expect from a session?
- Sessions typically last 90 minutes though shorter sessions are possible, especially for children and teens.
- Shiatsu takes place on a mat on the floor.
- Clients wear soft, loose clothing that allow for ease of movement.
- Touch is mostly of a leaning on the receiver’s body, practitioner’s body being relaxed, using gravity – not effort – to apply pressure into the center of the body, using palms, thumbs and fingers.
- Very subtle movements and some stretching.
To Prepare For Your Session
- Avoid heavy meals within two hours prior to session. A light meal within an hour of session is okay.
- Avoid alcohol or any intoxicants before or after your session.
- Avoid ALL fragrances – no perfumes / colognes / scented oils / lotions.
After Your Session
- Avoid strenuous or stressful activities after your session.
- Allow for rest as indicated by your body. Healing and re-organization of your nervous system takes energy.
- Soreness is natural and can last 1-3 days. Hot baths with epsom salts and/or homeopathic arnica taken internally can ease this
- Drink adequate amounts of water, away from meals.
- Give your body 4 days or more to integrate your session. During this time, try to notice changes unfolding as your body re-organizes.
- Notice your dreams – as your body releases holding patterns, your organism may inform you through dreams, offering you insight into what you are processing at unconscious levels.
- Notice your emotions – your body ‘keeps the score’ so physical holding patterns and their release may affect your emotional body. If you find yourself feeling vulnerable, be gentle with yourself – slow down, find stillness, rest, breathe.