The story associated with this remedy goes back to an outbreak of the plague in France. Four thieves had been apprehended for robbing graves of those who had died from the plague. Their claim to remaining unaffected despite being exposed was that this remedy kept them healthy. I love this story. It makes me feel invincible, confident, and also grateful towards the plants for their powers.
My particular affinity for this remedy, besides its power, is its everydayness - it is a remedy of herbs we commonly grow in our gardens. This particular recipe also includes Angelica, which is an unusual ingredient in this recipe. However, according to Rosalee de la Forêt, of Learning Herbs, Angelica was in the original recipe. I fancy doing things the 'old way' also, trusting in the wisdom of the ancients. Personally, I add ginger to the mix, an addition that come from my traditional Asian culinary and medicine culture.
Four Thieves Vinegar *
What you will need...
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons dried angelica root (Angelica archangelica)
- 3 cloves (Syzygium aromaticum)
- 2 inches of fresh ginger, grated
- Apple cider vinegar
- *Fill a quart jar with the herbs. Then fill the jar with the apple cider vinegar. Cover with a plastic lid or put plastic between the jar and a metal lid. (Vinegar will corrode the metal.)
- Let this steep for 3 to 4 weeks. Strain.
- This will keep indefinitely. To make sure you have a strong batch, discard it after a year and make a fresh batch.
- To use: Use 1 to 2 tablespoons a day to prevent illness. Use a 1 teaspoon every half hour if you feel like you have something coming on.
* Credit for this recipe goes to Rosalee de la Forêt. Herbal Cold Care © LearningHerbs.com, LLC
Other First Steps To Prevent Full Onset
Make Your Body Sweat
Have a sauna or a very hot bath and cover yourself under blankets to continue the sweat. Be careful not to let cold enter open pores (when traveling from bath to bed).
Make Your Body Urinate and Move Your Bowels
Drink lots and lots of good quality water.
Coffee enemas are excellent for cleansing the blood and emptying the bowels.
Drink Warming And Immune System Building Teas
Ginger lemon, pine needle, thyme sage rosemary, fenugreek.
Always add raw honey, preferably local.
Support Yourself with Energetic and Micronutrient Medicine
Homeopathics and Cell Salts can be miraculous when used correctly. First remedies to take: Aconite, Ferrum Phos, Oscillococcinum
Rest And Relax
Stop drinking caffeinated drinks. Caffeine makes your adrenals work hard and when you are getting sick they need to be resting.
Slow down or lie down. Let your energy be used for healing.